PCN NDT ULTRASONIC TESTING
Basic principles of sound; generation and detection of sound; behaviour of sound in a material, factors affecting propagation of sound; the flaw detector, calibration blocks/DAC blocks; use of angled beam probes for weld scanning, calibration of equipments; welding processes and weld defects; practical exercises on test specimens containing simulated flaws; examination of parent plate, butt welds, interpretation and evaluation; instruction writing.
Course Duration : 12 days
- To explain the theoretical background of the techniques
- To calibrate ultrasonic equipment
- To measure the thickness of steel plates and determine levels of attenuation
- To locate and evaluate laminations
- To select the correct type of probe to examine welded butt joints in steel plate/pipes
- To report on the location and size of defects in typical welded butt joints
- To interpret code requirements
- To meet the syllabus requirements for PCN Level 2.
Certification / Awarding Body
Entry Requirements (For Examination)
The minimum required duration of training, which includes both theoretical and practical elements, is: : Level 2 - 120 hours
The minimum duration for experience prior to or following success in the qualification examination is : Level 2 - 12 Months